Wednesday, February 3, 2010

i&p 2/03

since my last post, i've been reconsidering my choice of topic. i'm finding myself as interested in history and culture and antiquated objects as i am in animals.
i'm still definitely interested in exploring human/animal relationships, but i feel that i do that a lot in my work already. and my work has always had an antiquated aesthetic, but i've never really stopped to examine exactly what time period or specific culture informs that choice.
so i'm going to try going more in that direction.. i want to eventually zero in on one specific time/culture, but for now i think i'll keep it open and do a lot of research on different ones.
specifically what interests me at the moment:

-native americans
-indians (india)
-1800s, united states and europe
-early nautical imagery
-early rural imagery

it may just turn into me examining animals once again through the lens of one or more of these cultures. i'm not sure! but i think this will help me either figure out why i do some of the things i do in my art, or maybe inspire me in some new way.



here's some pictures, because i like pictures.







i found out, with the help of my brother, that these guys are called kachina dolls and were (are?) made by the hopi indian tribe. ...my love for them is immense and infinite.

1 comment:

  1. yup! i adore these too, so different.
    i had the pleasure of seeing some hand-made kachina dolls in Taos during my trip to New Mexico and I believe that the native pueblo (village) was home to people of Hopi descent/Hopi indians or at least in all the gift shops around that town the books were about Hopi indians.
    they still make them and you can visit this one section of a major pueblo, many have little shops were they sell their work. few actually reside there permanantly, the closed off sections contain most of the homes. i think the semi-public section is mostly commercial and ritual (closed off on special days & does not use electricity).
    sorry for the long comment, thought you might find it somewhat interesting.

    ReplyDelete